Kansas Rally Weekend can not occur without a significant volunteer effort on the part of many people. I mentioned these folks after the events, but a “Thank You” bears repeating to:
- Derrick Carpenter for serving as safety stewards for Saturday and for working checkpoints both days.
- Albert Weaver, Andrew Bireta, Jon Shipman, Dan McConnell and Deborah Hopkins for working checkpoints,
- Adam Miller and Charlie Clark for checking Sunday’s event. Adam also served as Safety Steward Sunday and worked checkpoints,
- Dan McConnell for yet another great job in pre-event promotion. Dan also worked checkpoints Saturday with Deborah Hopkins, President of the Heartland Miata Club,
- Kansas Region RE Linda Duncan and SCCA VP of Solo and Rally Howard Duncan worked checkpoints Saturday,
- SCCA National Rally and Solo Administrator Deena Rowland who handled registration Saturday.
Kansas City Region SCCA and the Heartland Miata Club for a great turnout. National SCCA competitors Ron Ferris from St. Louis and SCCA national points keeper Bruce Gezon, who made the trip from Murraysville, Pennsylvania, Jim Duea who came from Oklahoma City ran with Jack von Kaenel who came from North Carolina. Jack also kindly assisted with scoring on Saturday. Chuck Hanson came from Indianapolis and ran with local partners to expose more people to the experience of competing in a computer-equipped car with a National-level competitor.
Go West Rally
A total of 25 rally teams (a full field) started Saturday’s event, the Go West Rally. The rally route used all paved roads to get from Lawrence to Council Grove. Following an odometer check that ended at the Kansa Indian Historical marker, the route went west for two checkpoints at Lake Perry followed by a long transit to the west side of Topeka where the route picked up the Kansas Native Stone Scenic Byway. The route went through the Kansas towns of Dover, Eskridge, and around Lake Wabunsee (“Gem of the Flint Hills”) to a rest stop in Alma. From Alma the route went southwest along the Mill Creek Scenic Drive through Alta Vista, south over the dam of Council Grove Lake to the finish at the historic Hays House in Council Grove. Leg 4 of the event was discarded as one checkpoint crew cancelled the morning of the event.
Congratulations to Ron Ferris, St Louis Region SCCA, and Bruce Gezon, Steel Cities Region SCCA, for winning First Overall, first in the SCCA Equipped class, and first Expert class.
Congratulations to Lori Goetsch and Martin Courtois (red Mini), Kansas SCCA members from Manhattan, Kansas for winning the Experienced class. Congratulations to Adam and Christina Miller, Kansas City Region SCCA members for winning the SCCA Stock class.
Congratulations to Darrell Stevenson and Anne Marie Bireta for winning the Beginners’ Class, Georgia and Frank Fink came in second and Devon and Jon Shipman were third.
Congratulations to Scott and Melissa Wiles for winning the Best Miata award. Heartland Miata Club provided five entries this year.
Go West Road Rally Scores
|1||Ron Ferris / Bruce Gezon||Philly / STL||E||A||69|
|2||Jim Duea / Jack von Kaenel||Ok / Detroit||E||A||77|
|3||Deena Rowland / Chuck Hanson||Kansas / Indy||E||A||81|
|4||Lori Goetsch / Marty Courtois||Kansas||L||B||143|
|6||Adam Miller / Christina Miller||Kansas City||S||B||199|
|13||Roy Loyshire / Charlie Clark||Kansas City||S||B||489|
|26||Theresa Thau / Bee Thau||Cal Club||S||B||529|
|14||Paul Moylan / Tim Mahr||Kansas City||S||B||550|
|8||Darrel Stevenson / Anne Marie||Bireta Guest||S||C||215|
|5||Georgia Fink / Frank Fink||Kansas City||S||C||219|
|7||Devon Shipman / Jon Shipman||Guest||S||C||227|
|9||Melissa Wiles / Scott Wiles||Heartland Miata||S||C||286|
|11||Justin Hansen / Chris Hansen||Kansas City||S||C||312|
|12||David Tung / Arcely Tung||Kansas City||S||C||338|
|27||Mark Maconbrie / Judy Macronbrie||Kansas City||S||C||408|
|24||Michael Kelly / Keyta Kelly||Heartland Miata||S||C||441|
|19||Julie Fennel / Travis Fennel||Heartland Miata||S||C||475|
|16||Jan Kiersey / Keith Kiersey||Kansas City||S||C||499|
|20||Hal Baumhardt / Dave Patton||Heartland Miata||S||C||545|
|25||Scott Petterson / Chris Peterson||Kansas City||S||C||674|
|30||Duane Wesley / Lynne Wesley||Porche Club||S||C||682|
|15||Doug Lau / David Hicks||Heartland Miata||S||C||708|
|17||Kyle Rohde / Chelsea Rohde||Kansas City||S||C||729|
|10||Johnathan Wright / James Wright||Kansas City||S||C||896|
|18||Kent Crow / Khamin Crow||Guest||S||C||1070|
Go West Road Rally Leg Scores
|Car||Crew||Leg 1||Leg 2||Leg 3||Leg 5||Leg 6||Total|
|1||Ron Ferris / Bruce Gezon||2||5||32||11||19||69|
|2||Jim Duea / Jack von Kaenel||0||7||28||12||30||77|
|3||Deena Rowland / Chuck Hanson||26||13||16||2||24||81|
|4||Lori Goetsch / Marty Courtois||2||26||60||16||39||143|
|6||Adam Miller / Christina Miller||11||21||97||36||34||199|
|13||Roy Loyshire / Charlie Clark||3||12||300||103||71||489|
|26||Theresa Thau / Bee Thau||25||14||160||300||30||529|
|14||Paul Moylan / Tim Mahr||7||87||300||70||86||550|
|8||Darrel Stevenson / Anne Marie Bireta||12||59||111||3||30||215|
|5||Georgia Fink / Frank Fink||81||17||44||34||43||219|
|7||Devon Shipman / Jon Shipman||8||5||131||47||36||227|
|9||Melissa Wiles / Scott Wiles||53||67||114||37||15||286|
|11||Justin Hansen / Chris Hansen||45||22||176||33||36||312|
|12||David Tung / Arcely Tung||36||46||183||54||19||338|
|27||Mark Maconbrie / Judy Macronbrie||16||36||286||30||40||408|
|24||Michael Kelly / Keyta Kelly||126||11||223||66||15||441|
|19||Julie Fennel / Travis Fennel||13||250||103||47||62||475|
|16||Jan Kiersey / Keith Kiersey||8||250||205||2||34||499|
|20||Hal Baumhardt / Dave Patton||14||40||153||38||300||545|
|25||Scott Petterson / Chris Peterson||292||20||300||38||24||674|
|30||Duane Wesley / Lynne Wesley||27||14||300||41||300||682|
|15||Doug Lau / David Hicks||30||251||300||71||56||708|
|17||Kyle Rohde / Chelsea Rohde||11||297||300||57||64||729|
|10||Johnathan Wright / James Wright||148||300||300||92||56||896|
|18||Kent Crow / Khamin Crow||300||300||300||104||66||1070|
Kansas River Run Rally
On Sunday 11 rally teams returned for the Kansas River Run Rally. This event featured an all new route on good quality, unpaved roads. The route generally went west from Lawrence on the south side of the river to Topeka and returned to Lawrence on the north side of the river ending at the original Johnny’s Tavern in north Lawrence on the river. The rally route was rarely more than 3 miles from the Kansas River.Sunday’s Winners
- Congratulations to Ron Ferris, St Louis Region SCCA, and Bruce Gezon, Steel Cities Region SCCA, for winning First Overall, first in the SCCA Equipped class, and first Expert class.
- Congratulations to Theresa Thao and Bee Thao for winning the Experienced class.
- Congratulations to Lori Goetsch / Martin Courtois (red Mini), Kansas SCCA members from Manhattan, Kansas for winning the SCCA Limited class.
- Congratulations to Travis Heckes / Mike Jecklin, for winning the Beginners’ Class.
Kansas River Run Road Rally Leg Scores
|Leg 1||Leg 2||Leg 3||Leg 4||Leg 5||Leg 6||Total|
|1||Ron Ferris / Bruce Gezon||Philly / STL||E||A||5||2||2||3||0||0||12|
|3||Derrick Carpenter / Charles Hanson||Kansas / Indy||E||A||4||5||1||3||1||14||28|
|2||Jim Duea / Jack von Kaenel||Ok / Detroit||E||A||0||3||7||1||1||19||31|
|11||Theresa Thao / Bee Thao||Cal Club||S||B||3||22||10||36||2||0||73|
|4||Lori Goetsch / Marty Courtois||Kansas||L||B||29||15||181||10||0||21||256|
|8||Travis Heckes / Mike Jecklin||Guest||S||C||32||4||2||0||5||21||64|
|9||Mark Maconbrie / Judy Macronbrie||Kansas City||S||C||17||15||4||14||4||25||79|
|6||Devon Shipman / Anne Marie Bireta||Guest||S||C||30||12||6||3||4||29||84|
|5||Dan McConnel / Deena Hines||Kansas City||S||C||33||0||16||47||2||36||134|
|10||Deb Mitchell / Alec Mitchell||Kansas City||S||C||38||2||9||57||11||47||164|
|7||David Tung / Arcely Tung||Kansas City||S||C||34||12||22||21||138||59||286|
Thorns and Roses
It’s a tradition in the Boy Scouts following an adventure to review the areas that have gone well (roses) as well as some items that could be improved for the future (thorns). Here is my list for the 2013 Rally Weekend.
- The turnout. 25 Saturday and 11 cars Sunday is a great turnout. I had to turn away entries for Saturday as 25 is the practical limit for the restaurant. Next year when we end
in Weston the entry will be limited to 20 cars. Dan McConnell did another excellent job on getting the word out about this weekend.
- The Kansas City SCCA turnout. For a club whose interest is primarily autocross and club racing, it was gratifying to see 12 cars turnout from the KC Region.
- The Miata Club. I think that if rallying is going to grow in this area, its participation is going to come from the participation of clubs like the Heartland Miata Club, whose members are looking for some fun roads on which to drive their cars, with some sporting competition and post-event socializing thrown in for good measure.
- Mileage measurement. Although I used my Timewise electronic odometer (which worked flawlessly this past summer) it malfunctioned when measuring these events leading to a disappointing level of accuracy for the top crews.
- Saturday scoring. Scoring took longer than I would have liked. I was unable to get a head start on scoring while the event was in progress.
- Saturday registration. A last minute cancellation by a checkpoint crew threw registration into more chaos than usual. While I had to reassign checkpoint crews and decide which leg to discard, Deena Rowland valiantly handled registration by herself.
Thanks to all the competitors who came out and the workers who made the events possible. I hope to see you at another event in 2014. I am planning a February event (including a rally
school), a summer event as well as the rally weekend in November. Keep an eye on the Kansas City SCCA Region web site and Facebook page for announcements.